Decades of research have shown that addiction is a chronic disease similar to heart disease and diabetes, yet most treatment programs continue to treat addiction as an episodic, acute illness.
At The Right Step addiction treatment center, we understand that careful, ongoing management of this disease is critical for long-term success. That’s why our commitment to you doesn’t end when you leave treatment. In addition to providing aftercare, intensive outpatient treatment, and a supportive alumni community, at various locations we offer the JavelinSM 12-month continuing care plan based on principles that have been shown to promote long-term recovery.
The JavelinSM Approach to Continuing Care
Our JavelinSM continuing care plan is based on the understanding that each individual illness has a variable life course and that improvement occurs on a spectrum over time. As a large body of research shows, clients who receive continuing support once they leave treatment are more likely to maintain their recoveries. Whereas typical aftercare programs are short term and tend to offer occasional check-ins as an afterthought to residential treatment, we take a long-term approach, addressing your addiction at different stages and through various life transitions.
Our goal for you is not only sobriety, but also improved health, quality of life, and engagement with family and community – measures of success that we gauge using standardized tools.
How Does the JavelinSM Continuing Care Plan Work?
Similar to other chronic diseases, addiction requires significant lifestyle and behavior changes. Our continuing care plan supports you in maintaining these changes and helps you follow through with various elements of your continuing care plan, such as taking medications as prescribed and keeping therapy appointments. We have a dedicated aftercare staff who will work with you from day one to understand your continuing care options through the JavelinSM program.
Goals of the JavelinSM continuing care plan include:
Building Strong Sober Support Networks – We provide active assistance in building a robust social support network, which has been proven to promote long-term recovery. Assistance includes introduction to various social networking sites and other organized networking groups focused on issues relevant to your treatment. An engaged network helps you and your family move toward independent self-management.
Contingency Management – Our continuing care plan incorporates principles of contingency management, which focuses on personal accountability in recovery. You and your family work to identify consequences for behaviors that are detrimental to your recovery. It also includes proactive monitoring of potential obstacles to recovery and identification of the need for re-intervention and/or a change in environment when necessary. Contingency management has been extensively studied and offers an evidence-based approach to addiction treatment.
Maintaining Motivation – Maintaining motivation and engagement over time is key to long-term recovery. Our JavelinSM continuing care plan uses multiple approaches to motivate and engage you, including positive reinforcement, ongoing monitoring, and mobile apps and other state-of-the-art technologies that aid in recovery.
The JavelinSM continuing care plan incorporates:
- Regular contact with a Javelin coach via phone, text and email for 12 months after primary treatment (You’ll meet your coach prior to discharge, ensuring continuity of care and a seamless transition into everyday life.)
- Goal setting and monitoring through regular drug screens
- Regular contact with your family or other support system to help guide goal- and boundary-setting
- Increasing independence and self-management over time, as you become more grounded in recovery
- Behavioral contracts with family and/or social support networks
- Positive reinforcement for ongoing sobriety and accountability for noncompliance
- Ongoing education and coaching tailored to your specific needs
- Access to life skills training modules and activities
- Identification of options for social networking
- Assistance with proactive identification of the need for re-intervention and/or a change in environment
Like a graceful, powerful spear, the JavelinSM continuing care plan goes the distance with you, keeping you on target for long-term recovery.